Sunday, March 20, 2016

Act 1

Act 1 has just come to a close, and a lot of information has been revealed regarding the relationships between the characters, as well as the characters' personalities themselves. On the outside, Nora seemed like a typical obedient housewife from that time period, who was childish and frivolous, and was taken care of by her husband. Although she was in fact frivolous and showed signs of being childish, it is revealed early on that she can be independent if she wants to. Nora kind of reminds me of my younger sister, because although she may seem bashful or innocent, she is actually extremely independent when she wants to be and can help herself without the assistance of others. I am interested in seeing how Nora develops throughout the play, and whether or not she shows Torvald that she can actually stand her own ground. Torvald as a character is very intriguing. He is very condescending and controlling with his wife, and clearly has a lot of pride. He said things like "Is that my little skylark twittering out there?" and referenced her as a "squirrel" or a "featherbrain." Their relationship reminded me of that of a father and a daughter. Torvald also showed that he was at least somewhat responsible, earning an advancement at the bank, and refusing to take out unnecessary loans or squander his money. It was ironic that even though he had so much control in the relationship, he didn't know Nora's biggest secret. Ms. Linde and Dr. Rank were minor characters who weren't developed much, but Krogstad is shown as some sort of crook. However Krogstad to me seemed like he was doing what he had to do to get by and survive. How do you view Krogstad? Has he seemed like as much of a villain as Dr. Rank and Torvald made him out to be?

I think the theme of pride is going to become a key part of this story. If Torvald ever finds out about Nora going behind his back and working to save him, I don't think he could handle it in a positive way. Throughout the first act, he was clearly the dominant figure in the relationship and Nora acted helpless saying things like "I can't do anything without your help," so if he found out that she could be independent his pride could definitely damage the relationship and how he sees himself. I also think Ms. Linde is going to emerge as a bigger character later on in the story, as Nora doesn't want Krogstad being kicked out of his position. Finally, do you agree with Torvald when he says a lie like Krogstad's "corrupts children" and "poisons a home"?

7 comments:


  1. Nora reminds me of my sister in a way, too. At times my sister is very childish and immature especially when told what to do and will continue to act this way when talking to her friends. But she will act independent and responsible when the time comes, very similar to Nora. Based on the first act the only difference between Nora and my sister is the ability to lie. Nora has shown her skills in lying since she was first introduced into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elliot, I do agree with your views of most of the characters. To answer you question on your last question I do think that a lie like Krogstad's could corrupt children. However I don't not agree with Torvald when he says it is most of the mother's actions that affect the children. Children look up to both of their parents. I think Torvald was being overdramatic when he was talking to Nora about what Krogstad did and who's fault was it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with almost all of what you said E, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your analysis of Nora was very accurate. Despite some of her childish ways, she was able to make independent decisions that men would normally do. I would also have to say I never thought of comparing Nora to my sister, but they do share similar qualities of silliness mixed with independence. In regards to Krogstad I would definitly agree he is portrayed as a crook. The way he threatens to blackmail Nora are traits of a shady character but as you said, he is attempting to survive and rebuild his standing in society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey elliot. I agree with most of what you said. Nora is very childish, and a liar. Torvald is very prideful and krogstad is very sneaky. Keep it up bro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I commented on Daven Howard, Jamir Ramos, Jose Cruz, and Dan Lutz's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Torvald's pride will kill him if he ever finds out Nora has done.

    ReplyDelete