(After Nora left the house)
TORVALD: [In a panic, to himself] What have I done? What did I do to deserve such horrible things such as this? She was always so capricious! She even claimed that I didn't truly love her. After all these years. After everything that I've done for her. I provided for her, I took care of her. She couldn't do anything without me! [Banging his fist on his desk] This whole thing was a blunder, a huge misunderstanding.
[The CHILDREN walk in sleepily, awakened by Torvald's loud noises]
CHILDREN: [Rubbing their eyes] What happened? Where's mother?
TORVALD: [Petting them on the head] Don't worry, everything is fine my little dolls. Mother is out on vacation right now.
CHILDREN: Vacation?
TORVALD: Yes, she's on a lovely vacation! She is off having a good time, she will be back soon! Now hurry, go back to bed.
[The CHILDREN go back to their room, HELENA enters]
HELENA: Mr. Helmer, we need to talk.
TORVALD: Oh Helena, thank god you're here, I need your help more than ever with the children.
HELENA: Yes about that... I heard about everything that happened between you and Nora. Hearing her talk about your marriage made me come to a realization as well...
TORVALD: Helena please do not tell me you are leaving as well.
HELENA: No, Mr. Helmer, I will not be leaving... It is my duty at this point to stay. I feel ashamed of myself for letting this sort of suffering happen to Nora.
TORVALD: Nora?
HELENA: Yes, I watched her father treat her like nothing but a toy. An object. Yet there wasn't anything more I could do except do my best to raise her. However when I began taking care of your kids, I failed to make a change. I allowed Nora to be treated as a doll, and in turn Nora treated her kids like some as well. Nora was right, she was not in any condition to take care of kids, however I never properly taught her. Although Nora is gone, it is my duty along with yours to make sure that the children are not affected by any of this. You suppressed Nora to the point that she left, but you still have the kids. Please learn from your mistakes and attempt to make the best of it. Mr. Helmer, I beg of you, the children deserve better.
[TORVALD is at the point of tears. He looks up at Helena.]
TORVALD: [With a glimmer of hope] Do you think I can ever fix what I've done?
HELENA: [With a sad look in her eye] I don't know Mr. Helmer, but you have to try.
End
I never thought about continuing the story from Torvald's point of view. I like what you've done. It gives him an opportunity to grow and change, and to re-examine his status in society. The nurse's wise words really seem to resonate with him, and I like the points she makes to him.
ReplyDeleteI thought you did an excellent job in maintaining Torvald's character in your ending. His interaction with the children's caretaker was very abnormal which made this ending interesting. The way you incorporated the children was very smart as well, having Torvald tell them Nora went on vacation. My question is, what will he do when the children realize that their mother is not coming back?
ReplyDeleteI like how you implemented the maid as a significant character in the end. We don't really think about how she was around for every phase of the story, and yet served quietly and faithfully. I like how you still leave the ending open to speculation and you make it seem like Torvald will change.
ReplyDeleteI commented on Michaela, Brianna, Eli, and Pablo's blogs (all from period 3.)
ReplyDelete